Are you a person who likes to follow the speed limit or do you have a need for speed? It’s car care tip time!
One reason why people drive slowly is because it produces better gas mileage which translates into saving money on gas. For those that spend a lot of time behind the wheel, the current low gas prices have been fantastic but it’s rising again…
Here are 5 fuel efficient driving techniques that really do save fuel:
- Don’t floor it! When you accelerate, take your time. Optimal fuel efficient driving takes about 5 seconds to accelerate your vehicle from a stop to 15 miles per hour. Slamming your foot to the floorboard will not help your gas mileage.
- Cruise instead of speeding. Changing speeds with spurts of acceleration can increase your fuel intake by as much as 20% and that's not very efficient. Use cruise control on the highway can save fuel.
- Focus. By planning your driving maneuvers ahead of time, you’ll be able to keep your vehicle’s momentum. Anticipating the movements of pedestrians and other drivers and keeping safe distances will not only save you fuel, it will keep you safer as well.
- Coast. Whenever possible, avoid slamming on the brakes. Coasting toward a stop sign or red light is another practice that will increase fuel efficiency and safety while you drive.
- Decelerate. Did you know that above 50 miles per hour, most vehicles lose gas mileage? Every 5 MPH you drive over 50 MPH is like paying an extra quarter for a gallon of gas.
So there you have it folks. It appears the speed limits and advice from parents and safe drivers makes more cents than for just safety after all. Did you find any of these tips useful? If you did, please feel free to share with a friend!